Mateusz Maszczynski is a serving international flight attendant with experience…
While everyone else around me was busy enjoying the benefits of Revolut, it took me a really long time (too long in fact) to realise what I was missing out on. For some reason, I believed using a traditional bank account and credit cards was just as easy and effective for managing my money abroad. Now, I can’t believe I waited so long to start using Revolut.
So I wanted to share more information about how Revolut works, what services it offers, the optional extras you can purchase and why I think this is the perfect accessory not just for cabin crew and flight attendants but also any traveller.
What is Revolut?
At it’s simplest, Revolut is a pre-paid card and accompanying mobile app that can be used fee-free around the world and help save you heaps of cash when you’re abroad… although it’s much more than that.
Launched in London in 2015, Revolut has amassed more than 10 million retail customers and 100,000 business customers in just five years. While Revolut isn’t actually a bank at the moment (it’s officially known as an ‘Electronic Money Institution’) the business was awarded a European banking licence in December 2019.
Revolut is in the process of building a global bank and is accepting new customers throughout Europe, as well as the United States, Australia and Singapore. More countries are coming very soon, including the likes of New Zealand, Canada, the UAE and Hong Kong.
One of the biggest advantages of Revolut for any traveller is the excellent exchange rates it offers when spending money abroad, as well as making it super easy to transfer money both abroad and between friends.
Best of all, you can open a free Revolut account in next to no time – between 1 minute and 3 minutes on average. The process is really simple and all managed through the Revolut app on both iOS and Android.
What Are the Main Benefits?
At the core of Revolut is its pre-paid card – either Visa or Mastercard so it’s accepted in a countless number of locations around the world. But unlike pre-paid cards offered by a lot of travel money exchange providers, Revolut offers a whole lot more.
- Fast sign up – The whole sign-up process is managed in the Revolut app which you can download for free for Apple iOS and Android. It’s fast, easy and no paperwork is required.
- Everything is managed in the app – Revolut’s redesigned app makes it really easy to manage your money, pay bills, send money to friends and access loads of other cool features.
- Interbank Exchange Rate – Spend money abroad in 150 different currencies, all at an exchange rate that you’ll find really hard to beat.
- Withdraw money abroad fee-free – You can withdraw up to £200 per month from ATM’s around the world completely fee-free (and you can upgrade your account if you need to withdraw more).
- Apple Pay – Revolut was recently connected with Apple Pay, making purchases even easier and quicker.
- Send and request money for free – You can use your existing contacts to send money or use GPS to show other Revolut users close-by (perfect when you want to split the check at a restaurant).
These are just the main features that I love… there’s a lot (see below).
Save £4.99 by Signing Up For a Free Revolut Card
We’ve negotiated a special sign-up offer with Revolut for all our readers. You’ll save £4.99 on the usual postage charge for a Revolut Visa or Mastercard if you sign-up using the link below.
The Revolut Standard Account
Using Revolut and saving loads of money in foreign exchange fee’s doesn’t have to cost you anything. The Revolut standard account is free (except for card postage – and we’ve taken care of that with a special offer we’ve negotiated with Revolut).
The app makes managing your money super easy and comes loaded with cutting edge budgeting, analytics and push notifications.
- Budgets – Set a budget and let Revolut track your progress in real-time – you can even break down your budget into different categories (so you don’t end up spending too much on coffee’s when you’re trying to save).
- Easy money transfers – Pay friends, split a bill, organise bank transfers and set up recurring or scheduled payments in just a few taps.
- Built-in card security – freeze your Revolut card, change the pin number or set a monthly spending limit, all within the app.
- Currency rate converter – and remember, you get the interbank exchange rate which is incredibly competitive.
- Save money with ‘vaults’ – It’s like an instant savings account right within the Revolut app. Round up your spare change, set up recurring transfers or just put money aside whenever you fancy. You can even set up group vaults.
And you can breathe easy… your money is kept secure in major banks of the country you signed up in.
For a small monthly fee, Revolut Premium comes loaded with a whole load of added extras like overseas medical cover and priority support.
In addition to all the standard features, the Premium account offers you:
- Free premium cards with exclusive designs
- Free spare cards
- Unlimited fee-free multi-currency exchange
- Double (£400) the standard free worldwide ATM cash withdrawals
- Free overseas medical insurance
- Priority support
Along with all the benefits of a Standard and Premium account, users who upgrade to Metal get even more:
- An exclusive metal contactless card
- Earn up to 1% cashback in any currency
- A dedicated 24-hour concierge to help manage your money
- Triple the standard free worldwide ATM cash withdrawals
- A free airport lounge pass at over 1,000 locations worldwide
- Discounts through ‘Perks Plus’
How Do I Get a Revolut Account?
Although Revolut can be used worldwide, only residents of certain countries can get a Revolut card.
Where is Revolut currently available?
At present, Revolut is available in 30 European countries, as well as the United Kingdom.
You can also get hold of a Revolut account if you live in Australia, Bonaire, and Singapore. If you’re in the United States, you can join a waitlist to get hold of a Revolut account.
Revolut is coming soon to: Brazil, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, and New Zealand.
Full list of countries where Revolut is available:
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
- United States
Setting up an Account
Time needed: 3 minutes.
Setting up a Revolut account will typically take 1-3 minutes and can be completed anywhere and at any time via your smartphone or tablet.
- Download the Revolut app
Simply search for the Revolut app on the Apple app store or Google Play store. The app is available for Apple Watches, iPhones or iPads and is free to download.
- Sign-up via the app
You’ll need to be at least 18-years old to get a Revolut account and you need to use your real personal details. No aliases allowed.
- Verify your identity.
Take a picture of a valid government-issued photo ID and a picture of your face. Revolut will then compare the two and notify you as soon as your identity has been verified.
- Choose what account you want
You’ll automatically be assigned a free Standard account but if you want even more benefits you can upgrade to a Premium or Metal account.
- Add money to your account
Load money onto your account by bank transfer, via another card or by Apple Pay. You can even receive money from a friend to get you started.
- Receive your Revolut card
You can start using your Revolut account straight away but it will take a few days you receive your physical card. Revolut normally charges £4.99 for this service but we’ve negotiated a special offer so you can get your card absolutely free.
Save £4.99 on Postage for your Revolut Card
Earn a referral bonus
From time to time Revolut will offer a special referral bonus if someone follows a special link assigned to your account. The bonus offers can vary and isn’t always available but it’s worth looking out for in the app.
At the very least, you always have the option of gifting a free Revolut card to a friend of family member you refer.
Get Mobile Phone and Travel Insurance
Depending on where you live, you can also add optional mobile phone and travel insurance to your account. What’s really useful about the travel insurance is that Revolut offers a Pay-per-Day service for as little as £1 per day that you’re away in addition to the bundled service that’s available with Premium and Metal account.
Pay-per-Day works with the GPS on your mobile phone to determine when you’re actually abroad. And if you spend a lot more time travelling, Revolut also puts a cap on the maximum number of days you can be charged.
You can even add a companion or winter sports cover onto cover within the first eight hours of arriving at your destination.
Revolut claims their mobile phone and device insurance is 50% cheaper than similar plans offered by major mobile network providers across Europe. You can pay from as little as £0.90 per week or save even more than paying upfront for the year.
And of course, it takes next to no time to set up your insurance from within the Revolut app.
And There’s More
In addition, you can also use Revolut to:
- Trade stocks and shares
- Exchange cryptocurrencies
- Make donations to your favourite charities
Revolut has certainly made spending abroad a whole lot easier and cheaper than how I was doing it before. Maybe it could help you out as well?
Mateusz Maszczynski is a serving international flight attendant with experience at a major Middle East and European airline. Mateusz is passionate about the aviation industry and helping aspiring flight attendants achieve their dreams. Cabin crew recruitment can be tough, ultra-competitive and just a little bit confusing - Mateusz has been there and done that. He's got the low down on what really works.