Within hours of announcing the suspension of TSA PreCheck expedited security screening at airports across the United States, Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem has been forced into an embarrassing U-turn.
Her agency has yet to explain the reason behind the reversal.

Earlier on Sunday, Noem stated that emergency measures to suspend TSA PreCheck during the ongoing lapse in federal funding to Homeland Security were essential to ensure the security of travelers.
The suspension of TSA PreCheck, as well as Customs and Border Protection’s Global Entry service, was slated to come into force at 6:00 am ET, after just a few hous notice to relevant stakeholders and the traveling public.
In fact, the decision blindsided the aviation industry and even front-line TSA workers who continued to open PreCheck lanes even after the suspension was meant to have come into force.
In a statement, Noem explained that Homeland Security was “prioritizing the general traveling population at our airports and ports of entry” and that “shutdowns have real-world consequences, not just for the men and women of DHS and their families who go without a paycheck, but it endangers our national security.”
The decision quickly drew a furious backlash from the aviation and travel industries, as well as lawmakers and travel experts.
Within hours, the TSA effectively said: “Sike! Just kidding.”
In a statement posted on the official TSA page on X, the agency said: “At this time, TSA PreCheck remains operational with no change for the traveling public.”
Although the agency did add: “As staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate on a case-by-case basis and adjust operations accordingly.”
The TSA then went into damage control mode, replying to as many media outlets as possible that had already covered Kristi Noem’s official announcement that TSA PreCheck was being suspended.
“We are glad that DHS has decided to keep PreCheck operational and avoid a crisis of its own making,” commented Geoff Freeman, chief executive of the U.S. Travel Association.
Freeman then seemingly questioned whether temporarily shuttering TSA PreCheck and Global Entry would have the desired effect of enhancing security, adding:
“These Trusted Traveler Programs strengthen aviation security and improve screening efficiency. They are funded by user fees, and there is no reason at this time for them to be suspended.”
“At the same time, this situation highlights the uncertainty and strain placed on both travelers and the dedicated men and women working on the frontlines of airport security.”
Related
Mateusz Maszczynski honed his skills as an international flight attendant at the most prominent airline in the Middle East and has been flying ever since... most recently for a well known European airline. Matt is passionate about the aviation industry and has become an expert in passenger experience and human-centric stories. Always keeping an ear close to the ground, Matt's industry insights, analysis and news coverage is frequently relied upon by some of the biggest names in journalism.