When it comes to obtaining reward flights that might otherwise seem out of reach, buying points can be a valuable strategy, especially when bonus offers make your dollars go further. One loyalty program that occasionally offers this kind of opportunity is Flying Blue, which is a joint loyalty program between Air France and KLM.
Flying Blue is currently offering a limited-time promotion on purchased miles. From May 22 to June 11, 2023, members can purchase miles with a bonus of between 50% and 100% here.
To qualify for the bonus, you must purchase a minimum of 2,000 miles. The amount of bonus miles you earn will depend on the number of miles you purchase:
- Purchase 4,000-10,000 miles: 50% bonus
- Purchase 12,000-22,000 miles: 70% bonus
- Purchase 24,000-100,000 miles: 100% bonus
Miles are sold in units of 2,000 miles up to 100,000 miles and in units of 25,000 miles from 100,000 to 300,000 miles. Elite members can purchase an unlimited number of miles, while Explorer members may only purchase or receive up to 100,000 miles in any calendar year.
Understanding the Value:
Let’s break down the numbers to understand the value of this bonus points offer. Flying Blue miles are normally sold for USD 3.05 cents each, so if you were to purchase the maximum limit of 100,000 Flying Blue miles during this promotion, you would receive an astounding 200,000 miles at a cost of just $3,050. That’s an exceptional rate of 1.53 cents per mile.
This reduced cost per mile could help you to stretch your travel budget and opens up a world of possibilities for your future trips.
Here are a few tips for using your Flying Blue miles:
- Use them for award flights on Air France and KLM. These are the two airlines that offer the most availability for award flights.
- Consider using your miles for partner airlines. Flying Blue has partnerships with over 100 airlines, so you have a lot of options.
- Be flexible with your travel dates. Award availability is usually better for travel during the off-season.
- Book your award flights in advance. Award availability can be limited, so it’s best to book as early as possible.
If you’re considering buying Flying Blue miles, be sure to factor in the cost of the award you’re interested in, as well as the current cash price. If the award is a good value and you’re confident you’ll be able to use the miles, then buying miles can be a great way to save money on your next trip.